Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thing # 17

Social bookmarking is a great way to stay up-to-date on information relative to what ever topic it is you are interested in.  The first time I was introduced the social bookmarking was when I signed up for Diigo at the beginning of this semester.  I had absolutely no idea what the term "social bookmarking" meant let alone how it can be used.

Now that I an educated on what social bookmarking is, I can now use it effectively and to my benefit.  There is an obvious connection between social bookmarking and the classroom--sharing amongst other teachers!  This is a fantastic way to share useful sites, projects, teaching methods, and much more between different.  A teacher who teaches in Tennessee could have a really great lesson on volcanoes and be able to share that idea/lesson with another teacher who teaches in Nebraska!  It's a great way to be able to have the best information and receive it quickly.

When I typed "educational technology" in the search bar on the Delicious site, literally thousands of links came up.  Then to the right of the screen I noticed that you can narrow your search to something more specific like "science" or "brainpop."  This allows you to find what you are looking for more quickly.  Overall, I think sites like this and Diigo  are great ways to stay connected and relevant to the teaching community.

No comments:

Post a Comment